Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Poetry....

Every time someone says the word "Poetry," or begins to talk about it, my mind begins to quote...
.
No mo po
Get down to bidnez
Po's a no show
Ho ho ho-- Good riddance!
.
Typewriters on parade
Walt and Emily rolling grave
Nothing left save to save
The Death of Poetry
.
It was a computer thing
A neuter thing
Belligerent knucklehead
Brat- art- teeth - shred
flesh- word-battery- nozzle
.
Blue metaphor- Carousel
Itchy- mean-grouse-rasp-kiss
Whatta life death is
The Death of Poetry
.
Dum dum de-dum dum de-dum de-dum de-dum...
.
It is not impressive that this comes to mind.
For starters, I always skip the first two stanzas. If you ask why, I don't know the answer. I can't explain. Secondly, I'm sure I am the only one who does this. A little further explanation....
The poem this is from is called "The Death of Poetry" by Bob Holman, but it's also an excerpt from a group performance I was in almost five years ago. FIVE YEARS. And that's still in my head. And as pitiful as that is, I can't help it-- I love all the material from that crazy little experiment of a performance so much! And I'm such a sap because I swear I'm the only one of the six of us students who was so affected by the whole shenanigan. I have no doubt in my mind that the experience changed me-- that I would be a different person than I am today, were it not for that script, that coach, and some of those people. Again, though, I can't tell you exactly how... I can't pin it down, but I know it's true!

No comments:

Post a Comment