Saturday, February 09, 2013

When my life is like a TV show

I am a full time student (15 credit hours, plus a class I don't get credit for) with a part-time job(technically, two part-time jobs) (20 hours a week) and oh, so much to do.

Today I was at Colin's lacrosse game from one until three thirty, and then work from three forty-five until nine o'clock. Colin pretty much always picks me up from work (in the basement catacombs lower-level of Main Hall) and then drives me back to my apartment. He was waiting for me when I got out of work, like usual. I didn't know where he was parked, so followed him up the stairs to the main level, and he was headed for the ballroom to go out the doors near his usual parking spot.

The ballroom is a rather ornate room (rococo, I believe) and is often used for "official" meetings. There is a sign on the doors asking people to please go around the room (rather than through) when the doors are closed.

The doors were closed.

I said, "No, Colin, it says to go around!"
He said, "It will be fine!"

We went through the doors. I saw a group of people gathered, standing by a table, and staring at us.

I thought: OH, this is awkward. We just interrupted some social gathering. I really hope the university president wasn't having some sort of party--

and my irritation with Colin for pushing through those doors mounted.

The people yelled "SURPRISE!" and I swear I was stuck in some tv show and SO embarrassed.

You know how EVERY TIME a surprise party is planned on TV, the WRONG person walks in and everyone yells "SURPRISE!" and it's ruined??

I swear that was me. We shouldn't have walked through those doors. We just spoiled someone's surprise party. My life is literally like some stupid cliche show. I just hoped the birthday person wasn't right behind me so that the party could recover and hopefully continue somewhat smoothly and still be a surprise of sorts.

And then the people in the room came into focus.

And a light bulb went on.

And they were all looking at me.

And then I realized....

My birthday is coming up.

And Colin was beaming.

And it was my surprise birthday party.

And I wasn't mad at Colin, anymore.


No comments:

Post a Comment