A little over a semester ago, Colin and I were enrolled in the same Environmental Science course.
(I have a sort of underground interest in environmental science, quasi-intentional pun.)
For a day or so, we'd been discussing levees, which are basically artificially heightened riverbanks to prevent flooding. (But don't quote me on that-- like I said, it was a more than a semester ago!)
Naturally, I had a question about the real-life applications of the concept. I raised my hand. Colin knew what was coming and shook his head.
"What does it mean," I inquired, "if a levee is dry?"
"I'm not quite sure what you're asking," our professor responded. "Does the book mention that somewhere or--?"
"No, just hypothetically speaking, what would it mean if you took your Chevy to a levee, but the levee was dry?"
VALID QUESTION. Am I right?
Our professor was just surprised we were familiar with such an old song. But she didn't know the answer, so opened it up to the amused class.
One guy, who had spent some time working at an auto shop or something of the sort, said that there's a car part that's sometimes called a "levee" and if it's dry then you're out of oil. We accepted that as a plausible answer.
But I have been unable to find any support of his hypothesis online, and consequently reject it.
Maybe the river itself was just dried up?
No comments:
Post a Comment