Monday, October 04, 2010

Guilty Nerdy Pleasures

Sometimes I deny being a nerd.

Sometimes I have no choice but to admit to its truth.

I like school.

I hate homework.

I enjoy writing.

I dislike math.

I find my Western Heritage textbook fascinating (for the most part)...my teacher claims it's boring!


I automatically correct spoken grammatical mistakes.

I'm always dragging by the end of the school week, welcoming the weekend with outstretched arms.

The one very nerdy indulgence that I do admit to is that I absolutely postively LOVE editing papers. I think it is just so fun. I'm not a huge fan of editing my own, but I'm enthralled by the stories or essays of others: by what they have to say and how they choose to say it. I find editing them to be like a puzzle--searching for the best words, the best combination of consonants to make the writing roll off your tongue and paint a picture. I also like evaluating the structure, and trying to determine whether moving a sentence or a paragraph would help the paper to make more sense, to seem more organic, or to encourage the reader to continue and see what happens next. There are so many words, so many structures, and so many possibilites.

So am I a nerd?

Potentially.

2 comments:

  1. you are a nerd, but its ok. where would we be without them?
    i found it interesting evaluating your structure, "more organic", i never would have chosen that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh my AP Lang teacher said that ALL THE TIMEEEE. It's what AP scorers look for in papers-- an *organic* and natural flow. :)

    ReplyDelete