I heard a rumor through the
grapevine that Obama was going to be in Charlottesville, AND Bruce Springsteen
would be with him AND I could go. For FREE. It sounded like the sort of life
experience that could justify missing a few college courses. So I did.
I joined a carpool of three political enthusiasts and we
began the 90-minute trek to Charlottesville. Or at least we thought it would be
90 minutes. As soon as we left Buena Vista, we found traffic at a standstill.
We figured that everyone, their mother and their dog were headed to see the
President, but traffic eventually resumed its normal flow.
Nonetheless,
we were running late. Parking was tricky to find and, unfamiliar with
the area, I searched my ticket for any useful information. I noted that Obama’s
name wasn’t anywhere on the ticket—only Springsteen’s—and commented on the
irony.
We
reached the pavilion after the rally had started, catching the end of a
campaign video explaining the origins of one of Obama’s campaign slogans,
“Fired Up! Ready to Go!” The video featured an enthusiastic, hat-wearing
church-goer, and kept all in attendance chuckling because of her infectious
zeal.
The
video was followed by former-governor Tim Kaine, a candidate for a seat in the
Senate. We realized that President Obama wasn’t in Charlottesville (confirmed
by our smart phones), and wouldn’t be coming. But then the Obama-supporting Springsteen
was welcomed to the stage.
I am
not a connoisseur of music. I’ve listened to fewer Bruce Springsteen songs than
I can count on one hand, and the only lyrics I can recite are “Born in the USA”
(not the song; just those four words), but I can’t tell you the tune. The
baby-boomers up front were holding down that fort. My appreciation for his
music comes through the lyrics.
For one of my classes I read a
profile on Springsteen, taking me back to his roots and forward to his dreams.
It gave me a greater perspective for the truth and conviction behind his lyrics.
To me, Bruce Springsteen is reminiscent of Woody Guthrie. He sounds like an
advocate of a better America, and a believer in it. Springsteen explained, “I’m
here today because for thirty years I’ve been writing about the distance
between the American Dream and American Reality. Gauging that distance has
driven me through much of my life. I’ve seen it from both sides.”
Although “Thunder Road” seems to
have been the audience favorite, I found myself enraptured by the heart swells
of “We Take Care of our Own:” “I’ve been stumblin’ on good hearts turned to
stone/ The road of good intentions has gone dry as bone/ We take care of our
own/ We take care of our own/ Wherever this flag’s flown/ We take care of our
own./ From Chicago to New Orleans/ From the muscle to the bone/ From the
shotgun shack to the Superdome/ We yelled ‘Help’ but the cavalry stayed home/
There ain’t no one hearing the bugle blown/ We take care of our own.”
Springsteen also played “Promised
Land,” “No Surrender,” “The River,” and a short witty campaign ditty written
specially for Obama that was carried by its humor with phrases like, “Let's
vote for the man who got Osama... First debate really freaked me out, then
Romney got schooled twice by Obama / Smilin’ Joe Biden brought the drama.”
On a more serious note
(quasi-intentional pun), Springsteen attempted to motivate the crowd of 6,000
to get out and vote. He said:
“Voting matters, elections matter. Through
our vote we get an individual hand in shaping the kind of America we want for
our kids. At sixty-three I’ve lived through some galvanizing moments in
American history. I’ve seen the Civil Rights struggle, the peace movement,
times when you can feel the world shifting underneath your feet. And that
always reminds me of President Obama’s election night. That was an evening when
you could feel the locked doors of the past being blown open and I remember
sitting on my couch and going yeah, this is the place I’ve been imagining in my
songs and I’ve been trying to sing. Then comes the daily struggles to make
those possibilities a reality in a world that is often brutally resistant to
change.”
Springsteen sings about the American Dream—hope
for those who lack in money or spirit. He speaks and sings of America as though
it were or could be a land of brotherhood, a land where everyone cares for and
looks out for one another. And maybe that’s idealistic, but maybe that’s okay.
His songs tell us that there is a better life, a better purpose, and a better
way. And his songs tell us that this betterment is attainable. And that draws
me in.
I may not have heard the President,
but I listened to the Boss. And now that I know what I’ve been missing out on,
I may just go ahead and add it to my bucket list, simply so I can cross it off
and let people know, “Yeah. I did that.” And they will all think that I know
something about music, and something about America.
| The man himself. And Obama paraphernalia. |
| Yaaaaaay! |
| Colin doesn't like this picture of him. But I look good, so I'm putting it up anyway. He's the one that insisted on getting one taking in front of Obama's name with me in it, anyway. |
| But, whoops, HAD to include the scrawling across the top of the board! |
| Why, yes, this is a giant chalkboard in the middle of an outdoor mall , equipped with giant pieces of chalk for passerby-ers. |
| I wrote on it, too. |
| Beautiful. Although, being in Charlottesville did cause me to yearn after a small college town. I've got the small town and the college. Just not a small college town. |
No comments:
Post a Comment