Things I will never due to telephone solicitors:
1. Hang up on them
2. Hang up on them
3. Be rude
4. Hang up on them
Seriously.
Be candid.
Be NICE.
Be honest.
The people on the other end of the phone are people.
(Sure, there are machines, but that's not what I'm talking about.)
They understand if times are tough.
If you're unemployed and have three kids in college, they know what that means.
Just listen patiently.
Respond honestly.
Give your caller the opportunity to respond to you-- let them offer their sympathies, express their condolences, or show their enthusiasm if you're able to give.
Maybe you are inconvenienced for two minutes.
They're doing this for HOURS.
I really do enjoy my job. Sometimes I get to talk to really nice, sincere, well-intentioned people.
Sometimes people are a little bratty or rude.
But honestly?
I hate when people hang up on me the most.
Because then they're not even giving me a chance to explain myself. Or to show that I'm human, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment